View Single Post
Old 05-27-2016, 04:32 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineD View Post
Dear PN Friends,

As you may remember I have profound PN in my legs and feet.

Last year I realized that I had small fiber neuropathy in my arms, hands, fingers, face, lips and tongue.

The pain in my finger tips was like needles jabbing into them.

My neurologist prescribed Gabapentin, and finally at 3600 mg I found relief of the worst symptoms. My face still tingles as I get closer to my next dosage (I divide 3600 mg into three times a day).

What I'm trying to understand is what to expect? Will this SFN progress somehow?

In addition to the discomfort, are there other disabling features to SFN?

I don't have PN in my arms (I've been tested twice).

The PN in my legs and feet has not progressed up my body into my thighs (which was my fear when it was first diagnosed as profound 6 years ago).

It seems that SFN is discussed here a great deal, and I hope there are people who an help me understand what is going on and what to expect.

Hugs, ElaineD
Hi Elaine,

I understand exactly how you feel wanting to know where this is heading. As echoed by the other replies, they just don't know enough about this sort of thing. I dont quite understand why. I cant believe this is a condition that just magically started affecting people over the last 10 years. So many people must have suffered even worse than we do before the advent of skin biopsies. I was fobbed off terribly until I pursued the biopsy.

I saw a neurologist again this week, I asked him how many people he sees like me with full body SFN in all limbs and in the face, teeth even. He shook his head and said he doesnt come across many people like this. Argh. That's a great relief for everyone else in the general population but it just adds to the isolation doesn't it.

I have to be grateful for small mercies and just say at least I wasn't really young , like a child or 18 when this started. I am 36 so feel highly short changed as Im not old either but it could have been earlier. My main fear is staying physically and more importantly emotionally above water for long enough to raise my small son to adulthood.
JoannaP79 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ElaineD (05-29-2016), Pika428 (05-30-2016)