Thread: Kids Today....
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2016, 04:12 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Maybe I need to convince the DSD to move to Kentucky... sadly I think it maybe too late for her own education

But going to rant about her just a bit more and the rest of the youth today with the darn cellphone addiction that they are now calling a real thing.... Nomophobia (no mobile phone phobia) seriously In addition to texting while driving, nomophobia is also characterized by phantom rings/vibrations, panic and anxiety attacks when without their phone (even if their phone is just in another room of the house) obsessive compulsion to check their phone and so forth.

Honestly that's sad, and what's worse is there are now a whole host of self-help programs and even REHAB clinics for nomophobics. And what's worse is going through some of the "are you an addict," "how to spot cell phone addiction" my DSD is a full fledged addict and should be seeking medical assistance to unplug herself and that's just from the things I have witnessed her doing... As for myself, I took a few different tests for how I interact with my cellphone and come up as a bare necessities kind of person, even though I don't ever use my landline which is really sad in a way.

But it does explain a few of things that I'm upset with her about right now. If from what I have witnessed, she is addicted to her cell phone to such an extreme, it does also affect ones views of reality. They live in the virtual world disconnect not only socially from reality, but it shuts down their abilities to truly live in the real world. They can't function, they aren't thinking about raising their kids or how they're paying their bills (aside from their phone bill) they're thinking about the next tweet or snapchat. They are disconnect from the "here and now". Honestly that happens with pretty much any addiction... Alcoholics don't think about rent money when they're cruising for their next 12 pack, they don't think about not getting behind the wheel drunk when they run out of booze, they aren't thinking about the consequences of any of their actions aside from how to feed their addiction, everything else in their lives is secondary.

Now the problem comes in on how to do an intervention with her. Especially when I can understand her wanting to escape reality after her terrible childhood, but she's got a smart beautiful baby girl who needs some of mommy's attention right now, and she's about to lose her job over her attitude and cell phone use. That's something that has me ready to snap her cell phone in half. But it's something that I can understand clinically, but not personally. Even after being a smoker for so many years, and while I have the occasional craving for a cigarette, it's not much stronger a craving than wanting chocolate during one's period. I can smoke one, or smoke a pack and I'm good again. It's no big deal really giving them up. And even when I was smoking I often forgot my cigarettes and/or lighters all the time and just went without until I was back home.

So I can't really understand a cell phone dependency. I understand OCD to an extent on a personal level, though it's a weird anxiety that I feel when things are messy or out of order, it's kind of a disgust, skin crawling sort of anxiety over a panicky one. I don't get short of breath or feel my heart racing, it's my skin that crawls, my stomach churns and I just have to wipe up that ring of condensation from the countertop and disinfect it from the spit that joined it while wondering why in the world people like to spit on my counters it's purely disgusting and I'm gonna be sick so stop spitting all around my house... You would think that I'm a coaster fiend, but I'm not all they do is play the spittoon that needs cleaning out later generally after everything has become all dried and crusty.... eeeewwwww...... Just everyone should drink their drinks at room temperature and then it will never be a problem.

But back to the cellphone thing... I can't understand having a panic attack over not having it with you. Or an inability to fight the compulsion to check it at least once every 5 minutes. I might get terribly disgusted with water rings on my countertops and tables, but I can resist cleaning it up until the DH has gone to bed. I mean we live in the south, cold drinks are always in demand, condensation is just a fact of life down here... And there's no end to the water rings, all you can do is just disinfect everything once it's out of use for the day. So why is it so hard to put your cell phone down while you're at work?? Put it in your purse, lock in your locker and get to work doing what you're paid to do.... why do you even need a cellphone on you??

I'm afraid I might not be very sympathetic when we decide to have our little chat... Even though she exhibits all the signs and has all the resulting affects going on in her life, it's hard to believe that there's a nomophobia but I don't remember hearing about a notelphobia when landlines were all we had.