View Single Post
Old 05-31-2016, 05:04 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Sorry to hear that, but I guess you know it's not unexpected. As much as it is fun to see relatives and go to the game, it is also mentally draining to go through it sober. Either from fighting the urge or from the fear that it might go wrong (which was always on my mind in the beginning). It also sounds like a depression that isn't totally handled yet, but there are no miracles and it's not easy to find the right medication and counseling. Many people use the word "PAWS" for this (post accute withdrawal syndrome), and while not everybody gets that, many do in those first months. The brain is constantly rewiring, the body is healing, and all that takes a lot of energy and brings you out of balance. The longer you are sober (at first), the more you are confronted with the memories of the recent past, and it's daunting to think about the madness that happened so recently, and the fear of not being able to continue to fight it off. That said, the worst days of PAWS are nothing compared to a day of drinking and all that follows. The good news is that it clears up. It can be quite a journey, but most of us see things clear up after 6 months to a year (it took about 9 months for me to get out of this weird state of confusion, guilt, fear, and fog). It's important that he knows that a) it's absolutely not unusual and b) it won't always be this way. The worst will be over soon, and he's doing a great job.
"Thanks for this!" says:
DejaVu (06-20-2016), eva5667faliure (06-16-2016), ger715 (05-31-2016), kiwi33 (05-31-2016), PamelaJune (05-31-2016)