View Single Post
Old 05-31-2016, 07:30 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rec60661 View Post
This thread is giving me hope! I have severe neuropathy in feet and legs that progressed rapidly a few months ago. Feet are numb and i have twitching muscles and severe pain in calves thighs and left hip. I am on heavy pain meds to get through the work day and add xanax at night because pain is worse when I try to relax. Walking is difficult, balance is very bad. Not worth living like this.

An MRI taken when neuropathy was just getting started and confirmed degenerative spinal stenosis, with 2 bulging disks in lumbar area. I have had a number of episodes with severe back pain and spasms for many years. But the neurologists dismissed spinal stenosis as the cause of the neuropathy.

After many tests - no cause can be found for the nerve pain and progression of the nerve damage. I am seeing a spinal neuro surgeon next week and wonder if he will also dismiss stenosis as the cause for the neuropathy.

My question is would severe neuropathy that affects my ability to walk make me a likely cabdidate for surgery? I am doung physical therapy, but not getting better.
Hey mate, sorry to hear this, for me i clearly had a disc pushing in on my nerve running down my spine, this was causing me all the pain and numbness problems. If all else fails and you really have tried everything else out there to fix this, then push for the surgery and getting rid of the bulging disc problem , you need to eliminate the problems and if that is there then it could be the problem and the cause of the pain, its scary as hell, but might just fix it. I use to get ghost pain around my groin and front of my hip, that all went away when they fixed the disc issue. My surgeon told me ghost pain was common and that there was actually nothing wrong with my hip and groin, its all nerve related to the disc issue. I hope that helps. All the best with the surgeon that your meeting with and i wish you well in finding out what the issue is and getting it fixed

Cheers
Mike

Last edited by kiwimike; 05-31-2016 at 10:50 AM.
kiwimike is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote