View Single Post
Old 05-31-2016, 10:30 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Various causes of elevated BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by caroline2 View Post
According to this report NIH say only 5% of Americans get the 4700mg of potassium daily. Think about it, who gets 4700mg potassium daily from their FOODS?

How Much Potassium Should You Take to Lower Blood Pressure? | LIVESTRONG.COM

I've been dealing with higher BP probably since my 50's and even on meds I get spikes from certain foods, situations, etc....but believe more and more about this potassium issue.

It's been spiking when I've been going to the Osteopathic doctor I see weekly so thinking about this more and more and will take a larger dose of potassium when I leave the house tomorrow and take more potassium generally. I know I don't get the RDA daily amount.

We are overloaded with sodium unless one eats everything cooked from scratch...no processed stuff.

Do your research as always.
There are many different causes of elevated blood pressures and also many different manners in which to treat it. It is NOT a one size fits all.

I am always a bit concerned when someone decides to take matters into their own hands and play doctor for themselves, especially without the training nor the testing that is available to physicians.

That being said, unless one KNOWS their levels of anything, I personally feel that "supplementing" is not always a wise decision.

Potassium can actually KILL you. If someone unknowingly has an elevated potassium level and is supplementing their potassium levels, they are causing themselves more harm.

Kidneys play a big part in regulating blood pressure. People with renal insufficiency or renal disease, need to avoid foods containing potassium or at least limit them. Patients on dialysis should NOT be eating bananas.

Just knowing ones potassium levels is not adequate. One also needs to know their BUN and creatinine levels.

Blood pressure is not a simple matter and is best left to professionals to make decisions about how best to treat it in consideration of a lot of other factors for a specific patient. Cardiovascular issues will affect blood pressure. Life style affects blood pressure. Hydration levels affect blood pressure. Kidney function affects blood pressure. What other medications is the patient taking? And the list goes on and on.

Blood pressure meds are also used for other reasons beyond just blood pressure. There are many classes of blood pressure medications, including, calcium channel blockers, beta blockers, ace inhibitors, etc.

Physicians do not prescribe blood pressure medications in a vacuum. There are many factors beyond blood pressure readings that are taken into account. This is why a complete metabolic panel should be done prior to prescribing medication and also before one should decide to supplement based upon ONE aspect alone.

The body is a marvelous thing with many regulators and checks and balances. It is when the body can not make the proper adjustments needed, medications come into play. My opinion, if it ain't broke, don't mess with it.

YOU may be causing imbalances for which your the body may not be able to compensate if you supplement things that do not need supplementation.

And if your body can't handle an overload of potassium, cardiac issues will soon follow.

I am sorry if I have offended anyone here, but PLEASE be careful when you take it upon yourself to supplement without knowing what you are doing to yourself.

Research is fine, but it does not give you the FULL picture. Blood pressure is not a distinct separate issue that can be treated without knowing a lot of other factors. One must consider the entire body, not just the systolic and diastolic numbers of one's BP readings.

Some other considerations. Are the BP readings the same in both arms or do they differ? What are the ankle pressures? Which is climbing, the systolic or the diastolic, or both? What time of day was the reading taken? Was the patient sitting or standing? Was the arm at the same level as the heart? Was the cuff the proper size for the patient?

Just some food for thought.
Hopeless is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
bluesfan (06-02-2016), DejaVu (06-15-2016), kiwi33 (05-31-2016), Lara (12-28-2021), mrsD (06-01-2016)