View Single Post
Old 06-02-2016, 01:08 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Melody,

A picture is worth a thousand words is true. Basically, the pen itself has been designed to make all conversions necessary and YES, you DO use the same dialed up number with TOUJEO as with your Levemir.

The DROP of one unit of Levemir is different than a drop of Toujeo in volume. See the picture in the link provided by mrs D.

You may try to think of it as you would a pill. For example, a pill containing 150 mg of a drug is about the same SIZE as the pill containing 300 mg of the same drug.

It boils down to (from the picture) that the amount of insulin can be delivered in smaller drops.

I noticed that when I prime my needle with two units of my FAST-acting insulin, there is MORE liquid coming out than when I prime my needle for my LONG-acting once a day insulin. NOW, I understand why.

It has more to do with how much "liquid" is used to deliver X amount of insulin.

Sort of like it takes some people only an ounce of water to swallow a pill and others may need 4 ounces of water to get it down.

THAT's what they mean by concentrated. They pack more insulin in the same amount of fluid that is in the pen to deliver the insulin.

All the conversions are already done and calculated so that you can just dial your usual number and get the right amount of insulin. You are just going to be using less fluid to get the same amount of insulin into your system.

OK, that is MY way of understanding it.

If you dial up the same number on your Levemir and put it in a measuring glass, then dial up the same number on the Toujeo and put IT in a measuring glass, the volume of liquid in the two glasses will be different but the amount of insulin packed into that volume of liquid would be the same. Does that make any sense to you?

I could be all wrong but that is the way I understand it after having done some research.

I don't know how often you test each day but if you use less than the same amount of Toujeo than you use with your Levemir, your blood sugar numbers will show it. They will go up because you would not be getting the full dose.

The amount of "liquid" is NOT the same as the amount of insulin.

That is obvious with my fast-acting vs long-acting insulins.
Hopeless is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote