View Single Post
Old 06-02-2016, 01:37 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Tongue

The only advantage to using this new insulin (besides keeping big bucks rolling in to the drug manufacturer) is that for people using a large # of units of the older types, this concentrated one would inject less liquid into the skin. This may help with skin reactions etc, and in general be more cost effective since the pen machine itself is very expensive-- costs probably more than the insulin inside of it.

What really bothers my brain, is the statement that people may need higher units than before. This tells me that lower doses may not be very accurately delivered by the pen.

Think of this: 10 units per injection of the old types would be
.1ml injected. 10 units of Toujeo would be .033 ml. That may not be really an accurate amount for the pen. Hence that person may need MORE Toujeo to get any insulin at all. And that explains that qualifying statement we have all read.

1ml of water is about 20 drops. So one drop is .05ml. So 10 units from the Toujeo pen is less than one drop in volume!

I don't see this pen lasting long for sale. It is going to mess up alot of therapies and confuse too many people, and result in using higher doses of units, for those who only use low dosing like 10 or 20 units at a time. (because the pen can't be really accurate in those low ranges.)

The new oral insulins are doing very well in the later trials. Could be available in only a couple of years!
http://www.neurotalk.org/health-news...ial-yahoo.html

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hopeless (06-02-2016), MelodyL (06-02-2016)