View Single Post
Old 06-02-2016, 08:24 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default My experience

Bergamotte said: "he is inclined to listen to my husband's relatives and not to me"

I'm having trouble getting my head around this one! My wife accompanies me to my MDS neuro appointments, but I just can't imagine any of my relatives coming too. The neuro always asks my wife for her view on how I am.

I'll tell you about my experience, on the off chance that it might be of some interest to you, or to someone else.

My neuro thought my tremor could be improved by increasing my dosage of Madopar 125 from 3 tablets per day to 4.5 tablets per day. When I tried the new dosage I experienced dystonic dyskinesia in my right foot (it started about half an hour after I took the new dose, and lasted for about one hour). I reduced the dosage back to 3 tablets per day but the dyskinesia still occurred. I then changed to taking half a tablet 6 times a day, and the dyskinesia stopped occurring.

Rather than take the next logical step and increase the dosage to three quarters of a tablet 6 times a day, I instead took up high-cadence cycling [1] and that has reduced my tremor significantly.

Taking a dose 6 times per day may seem bothersome, but so far it has been a breeze. We've set up an alarm on the screen-phone to go off at 2.5 hour intervals starting at 8am. When I am out and about I wear a bum bag containing a small bottle of water and some half tablets. I'm also lucky in that, at this stage, when I eat doesn't seem to have any noticeable effect on the medication. I can also miss a dose by half an hour (or even one hour) and, at this stage, this also seems to have no noticeable effect.

[1] "Pedaling for Parkinson's..." thread.
jeffreyn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Bergamotte (06-03-2016), billybiffboffo (06-02-2016)