View Single Post
Old 06-04-2016, 08:38 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wide-O View Post
Hey Newstown, of course we remember. If it were solely down to drinking, it might still remain the same in a worst case scenario, but getting worse after a longer time of sobriety does indeed indicate there's more going on. In the PN forum there's always be plenty of talk about co-morbidity, i.e. several causes for the same disease in one person.

Still, if it was also due to you taking statins or those antibiotics, I'm assuming you stopped taking those, and it still gets worse, is that correct? For me it's still getting better, but very very very slowly. Definitely not getting worse though, of that I'm 100% sure. It's now more a "sometimes very annoying" disease as opposed to a "constantly burning horrible pain" one.

Let's hope that medication goes forward soon, it would make a lot of people happy...
Hey there Wide O, nice to talk to you again. You are correct, I don't take any of the meds that seem to be making the list longer of things that probably cause neuropathy. I took statins for cholesterol a few years ago, but nothing now. My docs more or less agree with you that my symptoms are probably not Completely due to alcohol, although I think it was probably a mix of alcohol and probably the statins and other meds....I even sold industrial chemicals for a time that are no longer even legal. Those could have played a role too. It could be multi-factorial as you suggest in your note. However, I do believe that alcohol played the biggest role by far..if not completely responsible. I just don't meet anyone who has these recoveries that we hear of...it makes me wonder. In fact, I sometimes drop in on a PN support group at the clinic. There are 5 folks there who have alcohol related neuropathy. 4 of them have had an experience similar to mine, they have slowly gotten worse, only one has stayed the same, none of them have improved. Hey, maybe it's something in our water here!! Ha, don't think so. Glad to hear you improving, maybe your water is special... Talk to you and everyone soon. (Oh, yes, I am excited about the VM202, it actually improves function, it appears, and doesn't just address symptoms. Hopefully we will see this available sooner rather than later. )
"Thanks for this!" says:
mrsD (06-06-2016), Wide-O (06-05-2016)