View Single Post
Old 06-05-2016, 01:53 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Thanks David. That's what I thought. About the neurologist: There is nothing humorous about this jerk. I tried to get him to understand that even if my nerves are not damaged YET, if they continued to be irritated they eventually will be. Instead of answering the question he went into his prepared monologue about percentages of PN people who can not find a cause and even if they do only about 1/2 can be cured. He offered more Gabapentin. Long story short I fired him about 5 months ago and have not found another.

I was hoping that since it's looking like my lumbar is the cause perhaps it can all be resolved before permanent damage occurs. However, even if it's the cause, appointments take so long to get, yet alone scheduling a surgery. I am quite worried. I hadn't pursued getting a punch biopsy but I think I need one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHC View Post
Hi Pinky,

This is actually a common symptom of neuropathy. It's there in the studies and a number of physicians, including 2 neurologists, have asked and spoken about this with me. Skin changes are common especially with SFN and shiny skin is typical, perhaps normal as it progresses. My feet have become more and more shiny over time.

Now, I find it humorous that your neurologist thinks he can clearly distinguish between aggravation and damage, especially when your neuropathy is chronic. The honest ones admit that they know very little here and that such distinctions have no basis really.

I hope that's helpful. My two cents based on my own experience, reading and physician consultations so far. Hope you're doing well!
ElaineD (06-05-2016), Wiix (11-30-2016)