View Single Post
Old 06-06-2016, 05:37 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Oldhat,

Welcome to the forum! I have never had to deal with hypoglycemia but I took Depakote for many yrs. and my Dr. would order blood tests every week because the Depakote can get into a persons liver but thank goodness it didn't effect me that way. It seems like your sons Dr. has him on a high dosage I only took at the most 2000 mg. a day and that caused me to become anorexic where I lost to much weight no matter how much I ate in a day. The drug was burning up calories like crazy on me.
What happened to me in the end was my blood platelet level became so low that I almost bleed internally so I had to go off the drug.
To find the best med for your son ask the Dr. to do a DNA test all they have to do is draw a few tubes of blood and wipe the inside of his mouth with a q-tip. All of this will go to the lab and they will be able to see the amount of enzymes in your sons liver along with his body chemistry and they can match all of that up to the best seizure med for him with the least side effect. I never knew they could do this until a few yrs. ago when my Epileptologist did this test on me and found out I was drug resistant to all seizure meds out on the market right now. I wish you and your son only the best of luck and May God Bless the Both of You!

Sue
Porkette is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote