View Single Post
Old 06-06-2016, 02:58 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Sorry you're going through this.

His story sounds similar to mine. I had mulitiple head injuries that I was trying to recover from. Then about a year and a half after my last head injury, I tried amitriptyline for the headaches (about a year ago). Soon after that, I had a psychotic break. I was hospitalized for a week and was diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder (a form of schizophrenia).

For a while, my parents and I thought it was just the amitriptyline that caused the psychosis, but with time we know, it is definitely schizoaffective disorder, though the amitriptyline can trigger psychosis earlier in some people.

The good news is that the psychotic symptoms can (and in my case, are) well-controlled when caught early. The tough part--I've learned--is living life with both brain injury and schizophrenia.

I have read several cases of people having psychotic breaks and having the diagnosis and symptoms of schizophrenia go away completely.

I should mention that Mark's vitamin regimen at the top has improved my functionality significantly, as well as high dose fish oil. Also, pushing through symptoms is a big no. Learning to moderate activity levels will be highly important for his recovery.
JBuckl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dmom3005 (06-30-2019)