View Single Post
Old 06-06-2016, 04:10 PM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member
Default More info

Thank you to all who've taken the time to respond. <3

In regards to the following:

Friends/Social Life:
He has been, frankly, more social than I'd like! It exhausts him, and often after his friends leave or he comes home from an activity, he is wiped out, cranky and sullen but aware that its a Catch-22. We are working on normalcy vs recovery, and actively trying to find a balance that allows both. His focus right now is on going to his Boy Scout overnight camp to work this summer. His therapist & psychiatrist are on-board bc it's a supportive place where he can work and rest and be in a familiar structured environment. I am less convinced, but also fully aware I cannot keep him trapped in our 4 walls.

Memory Loss:
Temporary. He lost all facial recognition immediately following the ER visit when he did not remember who we were. We had to introduce him to his sisters every afternoon when they came home from school. He began by remembering complex chemistry equations with no idea how he got there, and it's all come back significantly since then.

Psychiatrist (whose description is below), has said that son received KNOWN meds that can cause psychosis in "sensitive" brains with migraine cocktail twice. No indication that it caused it, but it's a distinct possibility.

Normal Diet:
Teenage boy diet. We have taken him off all caffeine, but it's difficult to keep him away from fast food. We cook at home as much as possible, and we have been paleo in the past, so it would be easy to go back to that protocol. Risperdal has made him hungry (which for him is a huge plus, he's always been underweight), and he does grow a vegetable garden and likes veg.

Sleep:
My husband has said that for all purposes, his sleep appears normal. (He slept in his room for several weeks after son came home from inpatient.) Even with son's reports of nightmares, there's no outward appearance of them while sleeping. He & dr's are guessing he is missing out on Stage 4 of sleep and just staying in REM for hours.

Vits/Supps:
NOW Gylcine 3-4g
Natural Calm 4g magnesium
Melatonin 5mg
Omega-3 Fatty Acids (1200mg fish oil, 600mg total epa & dha)
Vitamin D 1000 i.u.
"Sweet Dreams" melatonin blend (3mg b6, 100mg mag, 1.5mg zinc, 50mg glycine, 35mg theanine, 25mg 5-HTP, 50mg GABA, 2.25mg melatonin)

As needed:
Aspirin (up to 900mg for migraine pain)

"Looping":
YES YES YES. We have been calling it "fixating." He gets stuck on an idea, regardless of what it is, and talks about it incessantly until we do it. (Which has since improved considerably.) His words he says he hears (with no consistency if it's inside or outside his head) are random words whose meanings we've been able to suss out - those words were 90% of the time used in vulnerable times for him, and he has attached to them (claiming that the voices know the words are irritating to him). He still hears them, and they are still distressing to him, but volume and frequency are not consistent. He has always been OCD'ish, since age 4 at least. It was never anything remotely like a problem, just a personality quirk - 'a place for everything, everything in its place' type.

Psychiatrists:
Met w his reg psychiatrist on accident, in a way. She has a background in head injury and considers herself a sports psychiatrist. We loved her right away. She has promised us he would be okay in about a years time, but we have tremendous difficulty believing her. We aren't even sure what okay means, much less in a year. They have not mentioned schizophrenia or any affective disorders or bipolar. (That doesn't, to me, mean it doesn't exist, just that we haven't come to that bridge yet. I would be lying if I said those diagnosis arent terrifying to me.)

Depression:
That's honestly our biggest concern at the moment. This thing seems to morph faster than we can adjust some days. We are all exhausted, but hanging on to hope.
worriedmama is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dmom3005 (06-30-2019)