View Single Post
Old 06-08-2016, 10:52 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

3000 mcgs of B-12 is OK. He probably would be fine on 1/2 that but 3000 should not hurt him.

The multiple voices at the same time should be avoided at all costs. At camp, he needs to control the voices in the room. The brain tries to track all of the voices and will overload and crash.

FYI. One of the biggest problems with PCS is over-attending. The brain tries to pay attention to too much. A healthy brain will filter out background noise, the other voices that are not important, etc. The PCS has limited filtering out capability.

So, Singing around the campfire may be a struggle. Have him prepared to run for cover. He may find that wearing foam ear plugs will help with background sounds, even extra voices.

It is important for him to have something to do during quiet times. Wood carving would be fabulous. The hands cannot move any faster than a PCS brain can think. We often recommend manual focused activities because of this. Quiet rest means engaging the brain but quietly. Practicing knots would be good. Many Boy Scout skills are manually oriented.

Minecraft may be pushing it. I'm surprised his psych who understands brain injuries would recommend it. Be aware of the look in his eyes when he plays. Limit the continuous time for each session. Turning down the sound can help.

I have hours of idle time each day. I must fill that idle time or my brain goes nuts so I keep my laptop available. I can't sit and watch a sunset. I do jig saw puzzles and quizzes when online, play solitaire/freecell/minesweeper to keep my mind occupied. Minesweeper can be a good brain stimulator with the various skill levels. YouTube has some great informational and instructional documentary videos and comedy bits. Jeff Foxworthy, Bill Engvall, Brian Regan, Brad Stine ( a thinkers comedian), and a bunch of women. Jeanne Robinson is a gas but maybe too old for him.

His talkativeness may be his meds. You won't know for sure until he starts coming off them.

PCS and stress can cause all kinds of temporary psych issues. I am extremely sensitive to emotional trauma and can dive into PTSD easily. I understand the fear he has. I was afraid to go to sleep for fear of the nightmares. His struggles are very real.

Our family therapist told us how to react when a family member is having a difficult time. First, acknowledge their struggles, then the three H's. Hugs, Hush up, Hang around. It might mean grabbing a book and sitting in the room with him as he does his mind occupying activity. He needs to not feel alone during these times.

The "He was working *so hard* to make his points and his voice heard." sounds familiar. This can signal his struggles to get those thoughts out but has a discipline to not speak until he has his thoughts together. I routinely will wait and rehearse when I want to say so it comes across sounding intelligent. This 'slow down and rehearse what you want to say' is a fabulous skill, valuable for the rest of his life even without PCS. Good for him. Encourage him with this.

At my brain injury support group, we have many who need to take time to get their words together. Society does not have patience for this but our group will sit and wait patiently. It is amazing to watch how this lets a person who would be shunned in society by their speech finally have a chance to say something. They know that if they mess up, we laugh with them, not at them. It is important to not try to finish his thoughts for him.

It sounds like he is getting good support because you appear to accept his struggles without question. Keeping your anxiety down is important as he can feed of your anxiety. As a parent, it is tough but know that things will get better and try to be patient. MANY young people who come to NT struggle because their parents refuse to accept their struggles as physiological and try to tell the son to ' Buck up and get over it' as if it is just a behavior weakness. He is fortunate to have you by his side.

Try to avoid asking how he is doing. Just try to observe and be supportive with direction if he needs some help. 'That may be enough Mine Craft for the day' or even a redirect away from the activity, 'How are your tomatoes doing ?' or 'Can you help me do xyz ?'

So, relax mom. You are moving forward and will continue to see improvements. The skills you all learn will be great for all aspects of life. Many of us come out the other side with much better life skills.

My best to you both.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote