View Single Post
Old 06-08-2016, 11:46 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Thank you for your input. Much appreciated.

That's so sad how they just dismissed your autonomic symptoms. I'm sorry about that. I wish we lived in a world where physicians were held accountable for such incompetence. As the recent JHU study showed, such incompetence or general medical error is the third leading cause of death.

I didn't know you had three strokes. Wow! I didn't know one can have so many strokes! I'm sorry to hear this. Is this a risk with SFN? Should I be concerned? I have autonomic dysfunction as you know and didn't think much of it aside from the nusance that it is, that we have to live with, but now I'm thinking it can be more serious. I mean, I have palpitations and blood pressure issues, sweating issues, and the like, but I didn't think it could be deadly without getting much worse first. Perhaps I have a milder form of autonomic dysfunction now. It was worse it this all started and I hadn't regulated my diet and the like.

That's an unfortunate dichotomy between excellent testing and poor physicians. At this point perhaps my best bet is to see if Dr. Oaklander will see me. Presumably she can run all the tests she wants in Boston and send away for any that they can't do in house. If I had to choose, I'd say having the right physician is more important.

I know you've also visited Johns Hopkins. How was that? Or did you just see the rheumatologist there, and so didn't have the experience of having an overall assessment with a team of physicians and battery of tests? Any SFN experts there, or at least good, so open and inquisitive neurologists?

Quote:
Originally Posted by en bloc View Post
I also spent a week there.

You have NO choice...they WILL repeat ALL your testing. The doctors are arrogant and unless you have very clear positive results to specific tests that fit their criteria, you will be brushed off as many here (myself included) have reported. They made my dysautonomia Dx, but completely missed my Sjogren's, APS, etc...because they refused to do a lip biopsy and other testing (since my SjS labs were negative). They said my autoimmune symptoms were all in my head (exact words)...then I had my first of three strokes after their missed Dx.

They have EXCELLENT logistics and organization, along with access to great testing. But the doctors are not great.
DavidHC is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote