View Single Post
Old 06-09-2016, 06:53 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHC View Post
It turns out that one possible diagnostic procedure for amyloidosis is a sural nerve biopsy. In passing I've read comments on here (and likely other forums) about the damage it can leave. Has anyone had the procedure done? Input and experiences appreciated.

I will push for a fat pad biopsy instead, since it's far less invasive and dangerous. That sural nerve biopsies are even done is surprising. There's certainly irony in giving further neuropathy to those who are already suffering from it.

Thank you.
I had the sural nerve biopsy done at the Rochester Mayo about 5 years ago. They only removed a very small portion of the nerve. I had a little bit of shooting nerve pain in that area for 2 to 3 weeks after. I have numbness on the outer side of my foot from it-----but I have numbness from the neuropathy anyway.
It ruled out any sort of vascular involvement, showed that there was inflammation, showed a pattern of de and regeneration....but it did not give me any reasons for the underlying cause of my neuropathy and it did not change the treatment.
northerngal is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
DavidHC (06-22-2016), DejaVu (06-14-2016), Healthgirl (06-15-2016)