View Single Post
Old 06-12-2016, 08:42 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Here is a post from Consumerlab... that some supplement makers may put "more" vitamin in a product..

I have been having neurological symptoms, and a blood test showed I have toxic levels of vitamin B-6. My multivitamin contains 75 mg of B-6, but this is below the upper limit of 100 mg per day. Could my vitamin contain more than it lists? Answered by

This link explains the steps to do to provide an accurate result. Notice the hemolysis as a condition to reject the sample.
Hemolysis occurs when a butterfly needle is used also.
What it means is that the cells in the blood burst and flood the serum with the B6...giving a false elevation. (this commonly also leads to false potassium elevations also).
Vitamin B6 , Plasma (926)

I am still looking for the actual lab procedures... calibration of the machines,etc...but I am having trouble finding it. When I do I will add to this post.

This link explains how high B6 levels in testing occur in people not taking high B6 supplements.
This seems to be related to the MTHFR mutation:

The Cause of Vitamin B6 Toxicity is Not What You Think
Quote:
In the case of Vitamin B6 toxicity, the ‘active’ form of Vitamin B6 known as P5P, also known as pyridoxal-5-phosphate. While in the case of Vitamin B12, the active form is known as Methylcobalamin B12. These forms are able to be processed by the body so that they get into the cells where they can be utilized for body processes.

Ironically, high B6 levels in blood will decrease and return to NORMAL when sufficient amounts of P5P are taken to remedy the deficiency. The solution to Vitamin B6 Toxicity if you have the MTHFR gene is to stop getting the synthetic forms of B Vitamins, and get the proper active forms the body requires, like that present in a P5P supplement, Methylcobalamin B12, and a MTHFR Safe Multivitamin and Mineral Supplement.
MTHFR genetic errors are being found today in up to 30% or more of people tested.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Pika428 (06-14-2016)