View Single Post
Old 06-12-2016, 11:04 AM
Newly Joined

5 yr Member
Newly Joined

5 yr Member
Default Advice needed - Bad Root Canal?

Bryanna,

I am in desperate need of advice here. Every dental professional I have seen seems to kick the can down the road on this one. I just don't know what to do next Here is the background:

I am a 48 year old male.
I had a root canal performed on tooth #3 in late December 2015 as I had pain that I thought was normal decay. Also had sensitivity to hot/cold. Dentist found no decay but recommended and performed root canal therapy.

Following root canal, hot/cold sensitivity went away. However a dull aching above that tooth remained.

After several weeks of residual pain above the tooth and in that general area, I returned to dentist. Took more x-rays could see no issues. Saw regular dentist in Feb and March 2016.

Went to see Periodonist for opinion. March 2016.

Referred to endodontist. APril 2016 Did tests took x-rays. Referred to oral surgeon.

Oral surgeon did full exam (May 2016) and performed Laser comb 3D CT scan. Could not find anything. All usual tests for TMJ, wisdom teeth etc.
3D scan sent to radiologist. Could not find any obvious issues

Referred to another endodontist for 2nd opinion. Did exam took x-rays but can find no obvious reasons for pain.

Now they are all telling me to see a Neurologist.

Pain continues to this day and feels like it originates above the tooth #3 in the jaw, and goes to the back of eye socket and back of head. Gets very intense and feels like a migraine. However I have never suffered with migraines.

One theory the dental experts have provided is that it could be a cracked tooth (in either tooth #3 or #4) that they cannot detect on an x-ray. Also TN has been mentioned as possible cause. But they all say "Nothing Dental".

I asked about pulling the tooth but am warned that if it's not the tooth then I lose a tooth for no good reason. Also that it could be #3 or #4 that has a crack. As both teeth have had RCT.

I still feel it is the tooth/root canal on #3 that is the issue, as I had the hot/cold sensitivity there which went away after the root canal.

So my logic says the pain started in that tooth. The hot/cold sensitivity went away after the root canal. So it would be a strange coincidence if this current pain is due to something completely different. Also the pain feels like it comes from there.

My current plan is to maybe see the neurologist and request an MRI. In hopes that it might show something that has not been seen on the other images. Or else.

I feel like I am going mad because I started with a painful tooth, the tooth still hurts, but am being told it must be something else.

Many thanks for any advice or guidance you can provide.
MCOBBY is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote