View Single Post
Old 06-12-2016, 03:24 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Thank you Bergamotte and Jo! Yes she has been tested for Hypothyroidism and the tests are normal. I am hypothyroid so I made sure they did a full panel.

Her neuro (parkinson doc) does not seem the be interested in the blood results and confirmed they were all low but noting than that. I'll have to try the primary care doc I guess if the neuro doesn't want to respond. Well let me rephase that, the neuro's nurse practitioner (awful bedside manner) does not want to respond and we can never seem to get to the doctor at all.

I would have her try some extra iron over the counter at a small dose but I do not want it to interfere with her Parkinson meds.

Thank you both for your response, it is much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergamotte View Post
Shelley, has your mother been tested for hypothyroidism? That might account for her iron deficiency anemia. And, if she's hypothyroid, treating that condition might resolve her anemia without the need for iron supplementation. Here are a couple of links which talk about hypoT and anemia:

Iron and hypothyroidism - Stop The Thyroid Madness

Linking Thyroid Problems, Anemia, Fatigue, and Loss of Cognitive Ability | Health & Wellness News

As we get older our thyroid function gradually slows down. If she has been tested but only with the TSH test, please be aware that TSH is a pituitary hormone (not a thyroid hormone) and it doesn't show the whole picture. A more complete thyroid panel might reveal something.

I hope she does well.
watsonsh is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote