Thread: Insomnia
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2016, 02:10 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

PasteinPlace,

Insomnia is common with PCS. There are many different aspects that can be considered. The injured brain may need more energy to stay asleep. If you are waking at about 7 or 8 hours since your last meal, you may benefit from a small snack before bed. A complex carb or carb and protein can do the trick. Yogurt, cheese and crackers, toast with peanut butter. Most are about 150 to 250 calories.

When you wake up and cannot get back to sleep within 15 minutes, get up and do something boring. Late night TV, read something non-stimulating, do laundry, or anything to take your mind off your sleep anxiety. Then, as soon as you feel sleepy, calmly get back into bed. Tossing in bed anxiously will only make it worse.

Melatonin tends to not help with sustained sleep. It may be helping you get to sleep but does not last. A 25 to 50 mg 5-HTP may help.

You may need a magnesium supplement. Mag threonate or mag citrate are good. There are others, too. Avoid mag oxide except as a last resort. Some are concerned that mag citrate increases free glutamate (not good)

You also may need to consider if your bed stays comfortable after a few hours. The PCS brain does not deal with slight discomforts. Some beds sort of lose their comfort after a few hours. If my insomnia is being a problem, I have a comfy recliner and cozy blanket that helps me get my best sleep.

Some have upper neck issues that cause inflammation after laying in bed with poor head and neck position. Using a pillow that maintains a straight neck posture can help. Many allow they head to get out of a straight position with either too much lift or too little.

If you have stressful dreams that cause you to wake up, this can signify a neck inflammation/blood flow to the brain issue.

It appears you already understand that good sleep in very important to recovery. Good for you.

You are very early in your recovery so you should not let your mind get you anxious.

My best to you and sweet dreams.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote