View Single Post
Old 06-14-2016, 05:05 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Exclamation Consider Any Alternative Options

I have had a sural nerve biopsy, many years ago now.

I so wish I'd never had this done.
I was told by neurologists this procedure would leave a small permanent numb spot on my foot, that's all it would do.

Well, that wasn't the truth about all it could do.

I had excruciating burning pain for years. I could not wear an enclosed style of footwear on that same foot for over 3 years.
I was in agony 24/7. No treatment attempt would touch the severe burning pain. I have also had swelling, color changes and severe spasticity in the foot for years. It's never been the same. Doctors were not very helpful in trying to treat the pain. They just kept saying the surgery/biopsy had been successful.
We did not get any helpful info from the biopsy at that time.

I believe this was the trigger to CRPS, now in both feet/ankles.

My doctors now say they would never order a sural nerve biopsy these days, as there are other options for looking into the various conditions needing to be ruled-out, etc. I am not sure what these other options are; however, it sounds like you are aware of a "fat pad" option which may prove helpful?

I am reading there are often other options, other than sural nerve biopsies and/or muscle biopsies and that these biopsies are not needed as much anymore, due to the alternatives now available.

I hope you are able to find an alternative method to help to clarify your diagnosis.

If you must have a sural nerve biopsy at any point, I hope for the best possible outcome for you.

Very wise of you to post this inquiry before consenting.

Love All Around,

DejaVu is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
DavidHC (06-22-2016), en bloc (06-15-2016), ger715 (06-22-2016), kiwi33 (06-23-2016)