View Single Post
Old 06-15-2016, 09:18 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by russiarulez View Post
My family/friends still don't get it even after several years have passed now. I've heard everything from "you're just allergic to work" to being asked to "try and be a normal person for at least a day" for a wedding or a birthday outing.

Sometimes it's kind of a catch 22 - I would go and suffer through someone's birthday at a loud restaurant and then people would assume my condition is much better now and be upset when I decline an invitation to a party or other event.

Same goes for pretending to look normal, people assume you're fine and are upset when you refuse to do something.
You made a lot of good points, My response to the "you just don't want to work" is just putting it in perspective for them. I remind them how much I liked my job and how many hours I put in, and most of the time it sets in for them that if I was healthy I would be working!

The worst is when you just plow through an event or party just to be there, and you do a really good job of hiding how you are really feeling. No one sees you the next two days, hardly able to do anything. I recently when to a graduation party, and had to explain to some people I had not seen since high school what was going on. They simply said, "that it was seven months ago, how could it still be affecting you?"

I think what tops my list was when someone in my family suggested that I shouldn't be dating someone, because if I could handle having a girlfriend than I could be in school or working. I thought to myself, God forbid I could actually have someone to help me get through this who isn't judgmental.

Isn't PCS just one big catch 22? Ha
ConcussedEngineer is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote