Thread: Frustrated
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2016, 10:03 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Thumbs up Kiwi, Thanks for Clarifying Body pH Homeostasis

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi33 View Post
I agree that eating in a healthy way (lots of fresh fruit and vegetables, sources of complex carbohydrates, fish, lean meat, nuts, eggs, etc) combined with minimal intake of sugar and processed foods is a great plan.

However, this does not have anything to do with the pH of body fluids, which is usually controlled by well-understood physiology. Sometimes the pH of body fluids can be abnormally low - this is called acidosis. Most commonly it reflects lung problems ("respiratory acidosis") or kidney problems ("metabolic acidosis") - Acidosis: Causes, Symptoms & Diagnosis.

While eating in a healthy way is good, this has nothing to do with the pH of body fluids - The Alkaline Diet Myth: An Evidence-Based Review.
Hi Kiwi,
Thanks for explaining pH of blood and how it is not related to diet.
Thanks for the links.

You have been diligently trying to correct this misinformation, repeatedly, for a long time now. I appreciate your continued efforts. It has been difficult to reason with many people on this topic, everywhere I go, except with science-minded people (willing to look at the science).

I had a debate today with someone (meaning well) who was giving a friend of mine, suffering ovarian cancer, a very hard time about her diet. It was all based upon this myth. My friend with ovarian cancer does just fine with her diet and follows the guidelines of her GYN-ONC. This other person likely meant well, yet came across as quite overly zealous, disrespecting boundaries, and would not listen to any reasoning about the body's built-in mechanisms for controlling pH.

I am all for integrative approaches -- based upon truths. I have also heard this myth for so many years now. I thank you for helping to clarify the truth around how pH is regulated by the body.

Thanks, too, for your many other contributions to this site.

DejaVu is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hopeless (06-16-2016), kiwi33 (06-15-2016)