View Single Post
Old 06-19-2016, 05:23 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi IceHouse, I downloaded an app for counting days. DB has gone 172 days without a lapse. 306 days since his last binge. Birthday in July is approaching. In all his attempts to stop drinking since 2009, he has never managed to not drink on his birthday. This year he hopes will be his first. I've suggested he not put pressure on himself thinking about it in the lead up, just treat it as another day in the future not to be considered until he gets there and to just focus on today and each day as it comes. We will cross that bridge when it arrives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icehouse View Post
This is another method that may, or may not, work for him. I know it works for me.

Step 1. I made a list of people that have been instrumental through my growing days of sobriety. They are the ones that have invested TIME in me to support me on this journey. I keep this list on a table in my bedroom where I walk by it a couple times a day, a place where it catches my eye.

Step 2. On my iPhone I have an app (it's free and super easy to setup) that counts the days since Aug 2, 2011. One click of a button and I know to the day how many days I have beat the urge to drink.

It has a reset button.

I have gotten to the point where the fear of hitting that reset button, the fear of disappointing that "list" is more important to me than taking a swig of alcohol. I would NOT want to face a majority of those people with the news of relapse and I know that my current life would drastically change if I were to hit that reset button.

Yes, an app helps keep my sober....but that also works for me.
DejaVu (06-20-2016), eva5667faliure (06-23-2016), ger715 (06-19-2016), Icehouse (06-20-2016), kiwi33 (06-19-2016), RSD ME (06-22-2016), Wide-O (06-21-2016)