Old 06-20-2016, 09:09 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTom View Post
ST... I'm there with you.

Medtronic is currently the only choice. Boston is conducting trails, but you will not know if you are turned on or off for six months to a year. Probably a year off before an option for non-trail patients. St Jude is also coming up with their DBS, about three years off before we see it on a regular basis.

I'll have bilateral done in a few months (date pending). Parkinson's is affecting both sides now, dystonia on just my right side. Meds effective (great response) giving me a 2 1/2 window as I take them every four hours.

At 57 it should be good. Irony is I have dropped almost 50#. I was pushing 300# a couple of years ago, down to 250#. I understand with DBS it is common for weight to increase as the muscles aren't moving as much. I keep joking at it is more from loosing too much food off my fork (my dog is getting heavier, however).

Few weeks back I was out for two weeks business travel, heading home flight was delayed couple of hours. Later diverted as the home airport got 9" of rain. Lost luggage. Too much tremor, jaw joined in the fun. Couldn't talk, couldn't write a note.... in an airport and not able to communicate. That was the final moment when I figured DBS is viable.

For me I am still working, and want to remain working, so it makes sense to hopefully give me a few more years.
best of luck, i'm also 2-3 months off, haven't been given a date yet and they need a date to submit to insurance. i talked to one DBS person in my dance for pd class after class, we were at a cafeteria and she ordered a large lunch with turkey, something which would wreck havoc with my C/L for hours. I commented on that and she told me after the DBS she just started eating more so not sure if weight gain is just less calories burned thru tremor, etc.
soccertese is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote