View Single Post
Old 06-23-2016, 10:19 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Just like PD patients, responses to DBS are all different, so you won't necessarily have the same experiences that I did. Your ideal outcomes may be easy & fast with no bumps in the road. But I think it's best to be prepared & know all possibilities, as it helps you keep patient & stay the course if you do encounter any bumps.

Sharp eyes may notice that you mentioned your great response to L-DOPA (C/L, Sinemet) as one of the criteria for being a good DBS candidate, while I mentioned I was an excellent candidate despite not responding well to C/L. Just to clarify for those who wondered about this: Both are correct. Usually good response to L-DOPA is required for DBS, EXCEPT for tremor dominant patients (like me) who tend to respond well to DBS regardless of C/L response (as confirmed by NPF & all other sources I read as well as by my neurologists). I thought that might be useful info for any others who might be considering DBS.

Again, best of luck. Just like you, I tallied up all the reasons to do it and, as I said, I'm certainly glad I did do it, even with the bumps.
Peony is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Bergamotte (06-25-2016), eds195 (06-23-2016), soccertese (06-23-2016)