View Single Post
Old 06-23-2016, 11:32 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default PN and drug toxicity

Quote:
Originally Posted by mskari85 View Post
I've read a bit about cipro and neuropathy, but I can't find a concrete answer on a timeline. I was given cipro for a UTI in October of 2014, but my neuropathy didn't begin until a year later. From what I've read, most people have immediate issues while taking or right after completing cipro. Is it possible to end up with PN a year AFTER taking cipro or should I cross it off of my list of possibilities? I only ever took it that once and I think it was a week long, twice a day type of thing. I didn't know a thing about it, but I sure wish I had.

thanks!
I apparently have both autonomic and sensory PN from a toxic reaction to antidepressants -- there is virtually nothing in the literature about it. One neurologist I saw (who is an expert in dysautonomia and toxicity) thought my abrupt withdrawal (which I had to do because of serotonin syndrome: a hypertensive crisis and intense neurological symptoms) may have triggered the PN. My newest neurologist told me she has seen this all before from over-prescription of the medication alone.

I also had a lag time: of just about six months. Yet here is the good news...my autonomic neuropathy -- that had me bedridden because of severe orthostatic intolerance ... is now resolving (along with my other dysautonomic symptoms including gastroparesis, GERD, dry mouth, eyes, etc.) My sensory neuropathy - which is tolerable, is not abating.

I had a slew of testing for an autoimmune disorder (IA)-- all negative results, although I still feel the jury is out -- and I will see how I feel in the fall to decide whether I'll have a lumbar puncture, etc.

I encourage you too to investigate whether you have an IA...it can't hurt and you may be a candidate for treatment.

Best of luck and don't give up - I saw five (5!) neurologists before I found one that seemed very knowledgeable and empathetic!

PS: I've never heard about the DNA theory and would love to read about it!
SylvieM is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
DejaVu (06-25-2016)