View Single Post
Old 06-23-2016, 12:52 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Hi Kiwi33,

Thank you for the link. Yes, you're quite right. There can be, but the first step is to have a positive nerve conduction test, and I've had three negative ones. The protocol is to do the biopsy after a positive test. So yes again, there are a number of others tests they can run and have done so for me, all of them negative so far. A few weeks back I had stomach and intestinal biopsies done via endoscopy and colonoscopy respectively that I should hear back about soon, and the latter in particular is a valuable biopsy, especially where there is GI involvement. None of the urine or blood tests have revealed anything.

The TTR test that we spoke about/that I posted about a while back came back negative, as I suspected. If I do have the disease, I've suspected all along, it will be primary or acquired not genetic. The negative TTR is good, though there are many other genes that can be involved, though as I'm sure you know TTR is the most important one, especially with nerve involvement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi33 View Post
David, as far as I can see from PubMed there can be sural nerve involvement in the various transthyretin amyloidoses (which are very rare) and in immunoglobulin light chain amyloidosis.

Obviously check with your health team about this but I would have thought that both could be diagnosed without removing any parts of your sural nerves; there is some information about Dx of immunoglobulin light chain amyloidosis here AL - Amyloidosis Foundation.

Last edited by DavidHC; 06-23-2016 at 05:33 PM.
DavidHC is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
DejaVu (06-24-2016)