View Single Post
Old 06-24-2016, 11:36 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Help Scaling and Root Planing

A Warm Hello to All,

One of my friends is going through treatment for periodontal disease.
She has been having intermittent sessions of "scaling and root planing," as I understand her at this time. The dental hygienist is completing this work in 4 different appointments, each session 2-3 weeks apart.

My friend reports she is made very comfortable during the sessions, thankfully.

The concern:

After the first session, she became very ill for 4-5 days. It took a full week for her to totally recover. She had severe fatigue/ lethargy, whole body severe aches/pain, headaches, generalized GI upset with nausea, vomiting and ongoing diarrhea. She reports the weakest areas of her body, areas where there have been prior injuries, were the areas with the most ongoing pain after the dental session.

We know bacteria gets stirred up in this process/procedure.

Is this type of a reaction expected?

Is this type of a reaction all due to the bacteria stirred up, or might some of it be due to the meds injected for analgesia for gums/teeth during the procedure?

I had asked her if she was offered antibiotics and/or if she could later call and request antibiotics if she was too ill from the systemic effects of the procedure?

She had told me the dental hygienist had told her they only offer antibiotics to someone if they have a heart issue, a joint replacement, an immune deficiency and/or if they have an autoimmune disease. My friend does not have any of the listed conditions.

My friend is not one to ask for antibiotics quickly or easily. She likes "natural approaches" whenever possible. She had kept herself very hydrated and kept wishing for the best; however, she was so ill she was a bit frightened by the severity of illness that struck her within a couple of hours of finishing her first session with "scaling and root planing." She was in touch often, due to the severity of her symptoms. I know her well and have never known her to be so ill as she was then. I was also concerned about her welfare, as she lives alone in a rural area.

The worst of her symptoms were over a weekend, as the procedure was done on a Friday, and the dental clinic was not open over the weekend for calls.

She is having another session later on today, again a Friday.

What's the usual "standard of care" for use of antibiotics when "scaling and root planing?"

I have suggested she let the dental hygienist know ALL of her symptoms from the last session. I have also suggested she consider a course of antibiotics IF she is offered a choice, since she had such a truly difficult time after the last session.

What is the usual standard or care for this procedure?
Should she press for antibiotics if not offered that option?
Should she request different options?
What else may help to support her body in fighting the bacteria and/or in recovering from any/all effects of the procedure?

Thanks so much for any insights/knowledge/experience shared.

I hope she does not suffer like she did for several days after the last procedure.

I hope everyone has a fun weekend.

With Sincere Gratitude,
DejaVu

DejaVu is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote