View Single Post
Old 06-25-2016, 06:21 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Heart (((((( Bizi )))))))

Hi Bizi,

Sorry you are having trouble sleeping.

I always have trouble sleeping if/when I drink any amount of alcohol.
Many people talk about alcohol disrupting their sleep.

Maybe you are also having some "jet lag" issues?
It can take awhile to become acclimated.

I have been having a lot of trouble sleeping this summer.
There has been a lot of stress in my life this year. I am not one to consciously ruminate. Thus, I feel the biggest factor interfering with sleep is likely the amount of sunlight I am taking in. I find I often get too stimulated if I get too much direct sunlight.

I do better if I balance time spent in direct sunlight with the amount of time spent in darker settings. Over the years, I have automatically compensated by limiting my time in direct sunlight. In being more active outside this summer, I again realize how much the direct sunlight has an impact upon me.

I sometimes listen to some relaxing music (instrumental) mixes of music.
Jo*Mar's suggestions are interesting.

I pay attention to sleep hygiene, as per Kiwi's suggestion.
This is similar to the CBT for insomnia.
CBT-I, or CBT for insomnia, is popular and is often taught in connection with sleep clinics.

Insomnia treatment: Cognitive behavioral therapy instead of sleeping pills - Mayo Clinic

I also will have great difficulty sleeping after exciting musical concerts. My brain is too stimulated to shift into a mode conducive to sleeping.

I have found it very difficult /impossible to overcome the sleeping difficulties related to either alcohol or caffeine intake...and/or too much sun/light exposure. I do better to limit all of these factors. A the same time, sometimes we need to make some trade-offs and have some additional flexibility and additional fun in life.

I hope you did get some sleep before you had to go to work!

Warmly,
DejaVu

Last edited by DejaVu; 06-25-2016 at 11:13 AM. Reason: spelling
"Thanks for this!" says:
bizi (06-25-2016), Dmom3005 (06-25-2016), kiwi33 (06-25-2016), OhKay (06-25-2016), pink kitty (07-16-2021)