Thread: Pcs? Tbi? Cte?
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2016, 09:55 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

dumb bell,

1) Any doctor can request a Neuro Psych Assessment. Your insurance may have some limitations. A DTI MRI (Diffusion Tensored Image) can show evidence of damage but there is no treatment for any damage found.

2) The Activ-Xtm looks good for a multi but the additional B-12 should be added right away. It is expensive ! Read the Vitamins sticky.

3) Many struggle with cognition because they struggle to focus. We learn to reduce ambient stimulation so our brains are not distracted. Reading is a good brain exercise.

4) It sounds like you are in Canada. There are different names for anti-depressants. Some have used Celexa, Zoloft, and other SSRI or SNRI's You need to find a doctor who understands them. I take daily 5-HTP (100mgs) and L-Theanine (200mgs) rather than the anti-depressant I took for 14 years.

5) Most do not develop CTE until their 30's and 40's. There are exceptions just as every brain injury is different. Evidence shows that some who develop CTE do not exhibit cognitive struggles. There are a few studies that receive brains from dead athletes. They were shocked to find serious CTE in some athletes who exhibited only minor symptoms.

Worrying about CTE is a losing game. The stress will increase any symptoms. Many of us who have permanent impairment do just fine by using work-arounds and accommodations to overcome our struggles. As I said, I've lived with the symptoms you mentioned for 15 years. I've lived with a much milder set of symptoms for 50 years. I have lived a successful life.

I have had a problem with dizziness when getting up out of a chair since 1987. I just have to move slower. No big deal.

Finding a way to get good sleep should be a priority. Poor sleep can cause a healthy brain to manifest symptoms that mimic severe head trauma.

You may indeed have CTE but the severity is unknown. It is not a death sentence. How you choose to live your life will have a direct impact on your symptoms, etc.

Research shows that people with PCS/brain trauma who learn to improve their lives/function can do quite well. Those who wallow in despair often see an increase in symptoms.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote