View Single Post
Old 06-25-2016, 07:45 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi tommylee,

It's okay to post on another thread so long as the topic is the same. Otherwise it's best to post your thread... easier to find

I will re post your questions and answer in bold type.

<<1= had an eye tooth cut out 3 days ago and they packed it with a gel pack and added a stitch. now i see a small section of the gelpad trying to ease out of the socket. is this ok?>>

ARE YOU SURE IT'S THE GEL PACK? DID THE DENTIST PUT IN A BONE GRAFT AND A COLLAGEN PLUG... DO YOU KNOW? WHATEVER IT IS, DO NOT TRY TO PULL IT OUT OR TOUCH IT WITH YOUR TOOTH BRUSH OR FINGER.

<<2= how long before you can eat regular food such as chicken, etc.>>

IT IS BEST TO AVOID EATING ANYTHING ON THAT SIDE OF YOUR MOUTH AND TO EAT A NUTRITIOUS SOFT FOOD DIET FOR AT LEAST 2 WEEKS OR UNTIL THE SURGICAL HOLE CLOSES OVER WITH GUM TISSUE. BAKED CHICKEN IS SOFT AND CAN BE EATEN ON THE OPPOSITE SIDE OF YOUR MOUTH. DO NOT USE A DRAW TO DRINK WITH UNTIL THE HOLE IS CLOSED AS THAT CAN PULL THE CLOT OUT.

AVOID SMOKING AS THE ACTION OF SMOKING CAN ALSO DISLODGE THE CLOT AND CAUSE A DRY SOCKET TO OCCUR. THE CHEMICALS IN TOBACCO CAN ALSO PROLONG OR PROHIBIT THE WOUND FROM HEALING. AVOID MOUTHWASH AS THE ALCOHOL CONTENT AND OTHER CHEMICALS CAN IRRITATE THE WOUND, DISTURB THE FORMATION OF THE CLOT AND PROLONG HEALING. WARM SALT WATER RINSING 3-4 TIMES A DAY BEGINNING 24 HOURS AFTER THE EXTRACTION AND CONTINUED UNTIL THE SITE CLOSES IS ALL THE CLEANING YOU NEED TO DO ON THAT SITE.

<<<<3= how long does the soreness last from something like this?>>

THE SORENESS CAN LAST FOR SEVERAL DAYS. IT DEPENDS ON HOW INFECTED THE TOOTH WAS THAT WAS REMOVED AND HOW EXTENSIVE THE SURGERY WAS TO REMOVE IT. AN EYE TOOTH, WHICH IS A CANINE TOOTH, IS USUALLY LARGE ROOTED TOOTH AND IT IS IN A DELICATE AREA OF THE JAW BONE. THE BONE CAN FEEL SORE FOR QUITE AWHILE AFTER THE TOOTH IS REMOVED. JUST CURIOUS, WAS THIS TOOTH ROOT CANALED? ARE THE ADJACENT TEETH ROOT CANALED?

<<4= i now have the worst heartburn everyday has anyone had this experience?>>

HEARTBURN? ARE YOU PRONE TO HEARTBURN OR DIGESTIVE PROBLEMS? WERE YOU VERY NERVOUS/ANXIOUS ABOUT HAVING THIS PROCEDURE DONE? WHAT FOODS HAVE YOU BEEN EATING, DRINKING SINCE THE EXTRACTION? ARE YOU CHEWING WELL OR JUST CHEWING A LITTLE BIT?

<<5= How long after a tooth extraction can you still get a dry socket? because i am so afraid of getting one.>>

GENERALLY A DRY SOCKET OCCURS BY THE 3RD TO 4TH DAY POST OP THE EXTRACTION. IT CAN OCCUR LATER THAN THAT, BUT NOT USUALLY. IT IS TYPICAL TO HAVE SOME PAIN/SORENESS FOR THE FIRST DAY OR FEW FOLLOWING THE EXTRACTION. IF THE PAIN BECOMES INCREASING WORSE BY THE 3RD OR 4TH DAY, RATHER THAN BETTER, THEN IT'S BEST TO SEE YOUR ORAL SURGEON FOR AN EVALUATION OF POSSIBLE DRY SOCKET. AFTER THE 3RD OR 4TH DAY YOU DEVELOP SWELLING, FEVER, OTHER SIGNS OF AN INFECTION, DO NOT WAIT TO SEE YOUR ORAL SURGEON FOR EVALUATION.

<<Thanks in advance for any help and may God bless>>

YOU ARE VERY WELCOME... I HOPE THIS INFORMATION HAS BEEN HELPFUL. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ASK ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS IF YOU HAVE THEM.
GOD BLESS YOU ALSO ~'.'~

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote