View Single Post
Old 06-29-2016, 10:25 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccertese View Post
at least for the U.S. how long does the clinical trial last and can you go to a different programmer? i can imagine how frustrating it can be since it seems very trial and error getting the right adjustment and from what i know about the BOSTON is there are more adjustments that can be made than with medtronicsf? sorry if i am making the wrong assumptions. in the discussions i've had with members of the DBS team where i'm having the DBS, they did mention sometimes when they change the settings to reduce one problem, like freezing, it can also have a detrimental affect on speech so they can give you 2 settings, one for when you want to be more physical and another when you want to be more social, i have no idea how well this works and if there is any downside to rapidly changing voltage/currents in your brain. my speech is declining, best in the morning, worse as the day goes on and it is hurting me socially, at times i just don't say anything.
After debating this decision for 6 years I've decided to sign up for DBS. Soccertese has motivated me to do this! I've read that it likely will improve my quality of life and saw a study or two that show that DBS increases lifespan in most cases. I've talked to two folks personally who have said that DBS gave them their life back! Yeah I'm all for those two benefits! One question I have though is where should I have the stimulator placed, near the collarbone or abdomen? Does anyone who has had DBS have a recommendation?
zanpar321 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
soccertese (06-29-2016)