View Single Post
Old 06-29-2016, 10:45 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peony View Post
Soccertese, the swallowing problem after DBS is a well-known side-effect and not just specific to Boston Scientific, it applies to Medtronic as well (many refs in the literature). As I mentioned, it can sometimes be improved with proper programming, but that takes a while to get it just right. Often it apparently involves over-stimulation to correct tremor, but it's that balance between motor problems & side effects that I referred to above. May be a trade-off required. I'm still hoping it may be improved & have another programming session scheduled for next month.
From the information below it sure looks like the swallowing issue can be managed by changing the stimulator frequency!

Adjusting Deep Brain Stimulation Can Ease Swallowing and Freezing of Gait in Parkinson’s

Results

Freezing of gait was significantly improved with DBS at 60 Hz.
On questionnaires, study participants reported an 80 percent improvement in their ability to swallow with DBS at 60 Hz compared to 130 Hz.
As viewed on a swallowing test (modified barium swallow study), DBS at 60 Hz reduced the frequency of aspiration (breathing in liquid when swallowing) by 57 percent compared to DBS at 130 Hz.
For one participant, resting hand tremor worsened with DBS at 60 Hz; this participant returned to 130 Hz DBS after three weeks.
These improvements lasted as long as DBS was set at 60 Hz.

Adjusting Deep Brain Stimulation Can Ease Swallowing and Freezing of Gait in Parkinson’s - Parkinson's Disease Foundation (PDF)
zanpar321 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote