View Single Post
Old 06-30-2016, 05:40 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi33 View Post
An elevated anti-nuclear antibody (ANA) titre is suggestive but not necessarily diagnostic of a number of autoimmune diseases. False positives (an elevated titre with no disease) can happen.

Often a titre measurement is followed up by looking at the visual pattern (homogeneous, speckled, etc) of ANA staining in cell nuclei.

This information might help you http://www.racgp.org.au/afp/2013/oct...antibody-test/.
Thanks Kiwi- I only have as much information as I've posted here about my ANA - no breakdown yet.

I'm assuming that it is very significant in my case, given that I've been told by my previous rheumatologists that I can't have a connective tissue disease without it - despite raised inflammatory markers, paired o bands and many symptoms corresponding with connective tissue diseases. Also I have never understood how it is possible that we allow RA to be clinically diagnosed and treated in seronegative form - but not the others? I suspect this is because synovitis and RA erosion show up clearly in imaging so can't be refuted - unlike diseases such as Lupus or Sjogrens which can be much harder to confirm without the autoantibodies.

Sjögren’s, Hashimoto’s and Systemic Sclerosis with Raynaud’s, Erythromelagia and small fibre polyneuropathy, GI problems top to tail, degenerative disc disease and possible additional autoimmune diseases
MAT52 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ElaineD (07-20-2016)