View Single Post
Old 07-01-2016, 08:51 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Tashanicole,

Dentists will suggest to the patient to wait a week before smoking again. They say that with the hope that the person will stop smoking altogether. If you can stop for a week ... why not for a lifetime?

Smoking after a week is not "safe" to do as the wounds are still open deep into the jaw bone. The upper wounds are also open to the sinus membrane. Under ideal circumstances and with someone who does not smoke at all, it takes weeks, sometimes months for the gum tissue to close completely over the wounds and up to one year for the jaw bone to heal completely.

Anytime you start smoking again within the first year of tooth extractions you are jeopardizing the healing. I sincerely urge you to consider this time as an opportunity to quit smoking.

I wish you all the best and hope you have no post op complications.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tashanicole1987 View Post
Thank you for your response and yes I have decided to wait the week I was told to wait.

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote