View Single Post
Old 07-02-2016, 09:06 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I sustained my head injuries during my senior year of high school, which was a little less than three years ago. I only worked before the injuries and not during or after. I worked at a grocery store and the local pool. I have no training besides those jobs. As much as I'd like to work right now, I don't see that happening any time soon.

I did have a neuro-psych evaluation. Is that different than an assessment?

Some limitations that schizoaffective disorder (SZA) has had on me is getting bizarre intrusive thoughts throughout the day, though this symptom is mild. I also have a very low tolerance for stress and have a poorer ability to filter out noises and extra stimulus. My emotions are much more blunted, and my memory doesn't seem to be like it used to. Some of these are hard to tell whether or not they're from brain injury, schizoaffective symptoms, and/or the med that I take--Abilify.

Though it's debateable, schizophrenias are degenerative in nature caused by lots of oxidative stress and abnormal neurotransmitter levels leading to loss in gray matter. I can't think of any other reason why my recovery is so poor than the SZA having some negative effects on my brain.

I had my vision checked by Chang, Amy, O.D., F.A.A.O and went through vision therapy at the same hospital. I apparently made rather quick improvements to my vision, but my symptoms only improved with the syntonic phototherapy. I thought Dr. Chang was really good, but she made it sound like I didn't need prism glasses. She did say that they would be like a crutch. I assume that I still have some neuro-visual problems because I responded really well to syntonic phototherapy (until I did it too much), and now I can't tolerate quick movements on screens or flashing lights.
JBuckl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote