View Single Post
Old 07-04-2016, 08:50 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default gut-brain connection

Increasing literature points to a significant connection between the bowel land PD- for instance constipation often precedes PD by years--and bowel bacterial flora are often "different" in Parkinson's patients

In PD -there is an increased prevalence of
SIBO-small bowel bacterial overgrowth--this can lead to lactose intolerance as well as impair medication absorption from the gut----- there is no question that based on the color of my urine (entacapone)-- I am not absorbing as much stalevo as before

Since I took a course of antibiotics- I seem to have developed lactose intolerance- when I eat ice cream/cheese late--next day motor-wise is definitely worse- and overall i am worse since the antibiotics

I definitely do better- on a predominantly fruit-veg diet

There is some evidence that probiotics- can both help treat SIBO as well as have some impact on PD motor fluctuations

I know that when I am constipated or if i have more flatulance in the am ( TMI) - i will have a worse day

Th question is what-to-do--for now--

I will check for and treat (will try without antibiotics) H. Pyelori-- the bacteria that is responsible for a significant percentage of stomach inflammation and ulcer-- broccoli seems to be the best single non-antibiotic agent-- usually takjes 3 antibiotics

Eat mostly fruits/vegatables

Research more-ask about the ideal probiotic in PD--one that will help CIBO as well as restore flora that is often deficient in PD==e.g PD patients have less Prevotella Species and more lactobacillus--

Does anyone have similar experiences or knowledge--especially in terms of which probiotic to take?
schwad01 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote