View Single Post
Old 07-04-2016, 05:02 PM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member
Confused Why is My Body Doing This?

Psych Disorders: Bipolar II, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, ADHD, probable Borderline Personality Disorder; listed as personality disorder NOS, specific phobia, panic attacks.
Conversion Disorder diagnosis in question as they did not to a neurological work up with the first event.

Medical: Medical: Iron deficiency anemia related to PCOS, mild plaque psoriasis, tachycardia (potentially related to current issue in question)

I was diagnosed with Conversion Disorder in November 2015. I ended up with right side weakness, a drop in the right leg, a severe stutter (with no prior history of stuttering), tremors (though particularly sever in the right hand), cognitive dysfunction. MRI/CT/Chest X-Ray all came out clean. Went away in about five days. Probably triggered by identified stressor.

Another episode started 06/23/16, the day I took the first does of the propranonol. The same symptoms came first. Graudally, new symptoms appeared: extreme weakness in the right arm, feeling like things are crawling on my legs, random pin-like sensations on different parts of my body, worsening of the symptoms with heat exposure, extreme weakness/moderate pain in back muscles, "on-off" neurological phenomena (stutter when I speak, but I can sing a song that I know clearly. If I sit up straight to maintain posture, my whole torso shakes like hell and my head bobs but the tremors in my hands stop), loss of biological survival signal that says "eat or you're going to die" and just generally not noticing "hey, you need to drink something; you're dehydrated"--had to set reminders and post notes to remind myself, dizziness, my right foot is starting to turn inward when I walk. The bottoms of my feet tingle for fun. It doesn't take a whole lot for my legs or hands to fall asleep or get that "pin" feeling. Random, intermittent muscle twitching, disturbed equilibrium.

Fatigue (though I have PCOS and had 10 weeks of iron infusions a year ago; iron deficiency anemia is a potential issue here. Hemoglobin... or hematocrit... was a bit low again in April; MCHC and MCV never came up again even after infusions).

I think I passed out once. Not sure. I was already laying in bed, but my vision blurred for about 10 seconds, then I was gone. Woke up about an hour an a half later in the same position that I fell asleep, I guess, in. I usually move around and throw things around in my sleep.

BP is perfectly normal, rarely above 120/80, but HR >100 not related to prescribed stimulant. Given for HR and recent recurrence of panic/anxiety attacks after being stable since late April. I was pulled off of the propranonol after two days, as it was assumed that it was the trigger (more so the icing on the cake, as there are other factors that built up to the episode). Have since address different "flavors" of said cake and nothing has changed.

Tachycardic; HR hasn't dropped below 104 through the duration of this issue and hasn't been below 90 since January. It's been up at 140 if I'm up and around too much or get to wound up. I assume it's due to the astronomical oxygen expenditure with not only extra effort to speak but the involuntary muscle movement, etc, etc. (I don't know. I grew up with nurses, but I sure as hell am no professional. I'm a freaking psych major).

Another oddity: I've been hypomanic for seven of the eleven days of the current episode. From what I'm aware, with CD, psych disorders are non-issues through the duration of the episodes given those stressors and disorder are what trigger the episodes.

My parents, ICU and ER nurses, both 22 years experience, have ideas, but I'm just trying to gather information and get advice elsewhere myself. Neither of them are neurologists, granted, but they're experienced. I see a neurologist in the very near future. PCP but a STAT order on the referral. I'll probably get a call after the holiday.
PatternsInTheIvy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote