View Single Post
Old 07-05-2016, 03:17 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post
It sounds like you need the help of a professional and have needed that help for quite some time. Depression can be successfully treated. CTE does not change that. Self-harm is a serious issue needing attention.

Nothing suggests boxers have a slower onset of CTE. It has had a different name for decades, dementia pugilistica. Since boxers win because they can better tolerate blows to the head, it may be that they (successful boxers) have brains with greater tolerance, to a point.

So, find a good doctor. I personally think a psychiatrist with experience with brain trauma would be best. A neuro rehab hospital is often a good source for a referral. They may even have a good psychiatrist on staff. In some cases, a neuro-psychologist can fill the need but they may need to refer to a MD for meds.

Considering the symptoms you are experiencing, the side-effects of an SSRI or SNRI med would be worth the benefits of a stabilized mind.

Your county mental health department may also be able to help.

So, please, get some professional help.
thanks for responding again, Mark. You're a real help.

ok. I was just fearful that if it's the CTE that is causing my emotional /psychiatric problems, that there would be nothing I could do about it, as it's part of the disease. i have suffered from mild anxiety in the past, but this is something totally new/frightening, and has been going on for months (and getting worse)...and now with this new concussion, it's through the roof. your comment makes me hopeful.

sorry, what i meant was that it appears that boxers get the disease a bit later in life, tend to suffer the physical problems first (as opposed to football/hockey/wrestling athletes, who tend to get it young and suffer the more emotional/psychiatric symptoms) and also have a more protracted disease process...I did read this in a paper by BU researchers...but it doesn't explain why. Not to sound insensitive, but you're not reading about young brain-damaged boxers or UFC guys on the news in the same situations as some young(er) hockey/football/wrestling athletes. I guess I was just trying to help ease myself (even though my emotional symptoms started way before I even cared about CTE...and for no reason...like, no reason at all.), as the vast majority of my head damage is from punches (others or self-induced)...

I have a psychiatrist, but he really doesn't know much about brain trauma. I live about an hour outside of Toronto, Ontario. I have been looking online for brain trauma doctors/psychiatrists...it seems almost all of them are involved with athletes or those who suffer from epilepsy. I will continue to look. I will phone my local brain injury association.

I am willing to try almost any med right now if it helps ...this is overwhelming. This new concussion has obviously kicked it all into overdrive.

I hope they find a biomarker for this thing soon. Just to know. Sounds silly, but it would bring me out of the dark a bit...

thanks again, Mark.
dumb bell is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote