View Single Post
Old 07-06-2016, 08:23 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default question about mestinon--do not have MG

Thanks for letting me intrude on your board. I would appreciate anyone's advice or shared experiences with this medication. Part of me thinks I should give it a try. But another part of me is terrified. I am 30 miles from the nearest hospital... the two options are subpar to say the least. I am afraid that if I had a bad reaction no one would be able to help me.

I have small fiber neuropathy and I have been doing fairly well once I found out what was going on. However, I have been having issues with swallowing and a "tight" chest since December.

I am a runner and was running 25-30 miles per week until a few months ago. I am finding it difficult to walk/jog more than 1.5 miles currently. I had a pretty scary incident with my chest muscles in May while weight lifting (nothing too heavy). Through process of elimination, my neuro feels that I am having esophageal spasms. I still have them a few times a week, but nothing like the first time. They seem to be brought on by heavy breathing--when I try to run or exercise.

This summer my body is quitting. It is on strike. My blood pressure is very low and some days I am too tired to hold up my head.

I have been tested for MG---no antibodies, all other blood work normal, and nerve conduction test inconclusive because "patient couldn't relax."

Yesterday, my neuro (different one) suggested that I try mestinon for my autonomic symptoms. I am afraid of it.

I have read that some people become paralyzed on it. I am also afraid of anything that might trigger the terrible chest spasms. It feels as if a tennis ball is stuck in my chest when it happens.

He had stated on the phone that he would be giving me a small dose. However, an email from Walgreens said it is 60mg. I can't take that much. I know my body. I weigh 105, am 5' 2". That looks like way too much for me.
teachermom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AnnieB3 (07-06-2016)