View Single Post
Old 07-07-2016, 11:41 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergamotte View Post
fbollaci123, you said:

I would like to toss this question out there for you and everyone else to weigh in on: Should people on Azilect not take kefir?

My husband has taken a half glass of organic bio-active kefir every morning for the last 1-1/2 years. After starting the kefir, he was on Azilect for several months and didn't do well on it (side effects / no therapeutic effect). He then went on to start on levodopa treatment. Would the Azilect therapy have had a better chance at success if we had stopped his kefir?

Hi Bergamotte,

I will try my best to explain what I know. Azilect is an MAO-B inhibitor. Ordinarily there are no dietary restrictions required when one takes Azilect at the recommended dose. However, certain foods such as aged cheeses contain very high amounts of a substance called tyramine. MAO inhibitors can potentially cause tyramine to accumulate in the body and lead to a dramatic rise in blood pressure. For this reason, one should avoid foods with very high amounts of tyramine. Yogurt, which is fermented, is considered to be low in tyramine, and can be eaten without restriction. Nuts and also peanut butter are also considered to be safe to eat.

As for kefir, there is little information available. In one study, tyramine concentrations of kefir samples changed from non detachable values to 12.8 mg/liter. Under 6 mg of tyramine is considered to be safe so it appears that one could take about 1/4 liter (approx. 8 oz) of kefir without concern.

The thing is there are some people who are unusually sensitive to medications such as Azilect. In terms of taking kefir while on Azilect, I would proceed with caution and discuss matter with the doctor(s) who may wish to monitor blood pressure. Hope this helps.
fbollaci123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Bergamotte (07-07-2016), Betsy859 (07-08-2016)