View Single Post
Old 07-09-2016, 05:38 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default SFN - alcohol makes symptoms worse but is it the cause?

Hey, so for the last 3 1/2 years i have been having, what i now realise is nerve problems with my hands and fingers. When it began, i was heavily stressed at work but safe in the knowledge i was about to embark on a 6 month trip travelling around south america. Just before i finished up with the work however, i noticed my fingertips had suddenly started to feel sore and were hurting when i touched the keyboard on my computer but, i just put this down to being RSI due to the heavy workload i had been under, and expected it to heal over the course of the travelling. Unfortunately, nothing changed.

Fast forward to today, past all the theories on what the problem could be (RSI, RA, arthritis, TMS) i have now come to the conclusion that it is small fiber neuropathy. Predominantly showing as allodynia in my fingertips - a sunburnt feeling which spreads up the side of my fingers, up the nerves into my forearms but only when my fingers are used i.e. tapping on a keyboard, lightly swiping a smartphone. I noticed also that 6 months ago that my left foot has started to have some paresthesias as well, feeling kind of cold and slightly prickly underneath.

After going through multiple docs and neuros i finally found one who diagnosed me with SFPN, which seems to fit. I have had all of the blood tests available and ENMGs, which came up fine. Aside from a high B6 due to Bvitamin supplementation, which has now lowered, and also a Lyme test which i was told was high but referred only to a recent infection and probably wasnt the issue... (doc offered me antibiotics for this but i declined as he said it was very unlikely the cause and ive read about people getting bad neuropathy from the antibiotics themselves).

Now, the only time ive ever noticed any change/ worsening of the symptoms is when i am hungover, sick or tired. Ive read about alcoholic neuropathy and have considered this but im definitely no alcoholic. Its true, I have always drunk a fair amount of alcohol, yeah, im a 30 year old british male so its very common for us to go out on weekends and drink with friends, but i only ever drink 4-5 drinks if i do go out and im quite happy to go several weeks without drinking. Nonetheless, starting this week, i have decided to quit alcohol entirely.

Is it common to have worsening neuro symptoms when hungover or is it just because my body is run-down? Do you think that quitting alcohol will "cure" these issues? Should i reconsider taking the Lyme antibiotics?

My SFN is definitely quite mild and progressing slowly, i know it could be 10x worse, but reading these forums really starts freaking you out!

Thanks for your responses
JimJamJones is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote