View Single Post
Old 07-12-2016, 02:23 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi33 View Post
Inheritance of a specific pattern of Class II MHC proteins is often a risk factor for specific auto-immune diseases. For example, inheritance of forms of a Class II MHC protein called HLA-DRB1 is a risk factor for RA. Presumably this is because complexes of pathogen peptide:HLA-DRB1 can "look like" complexes of joint tissue peptides and HLA-DRB1, leading to immune system damage of joint tissue.
Thanks for the explanation.
We have got some autoimmune disorders in our family, is it possible to test for the patterns of class II MHC ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mskari85 View Post
To answer you Joanna, I have an EMG coming up in August. I have not had a nerve biopsy done yet. I am more than certain at this point that I am dealing with a small fiber neuropathy, but my neurologist looked at me like I was an idiot when I said that. So I guess I will go through the EMG and hopefully at some point we can get to the nerve biopsy and the SFN can be confirmed. I am having an MRI on Wednesday to rule out MS, I assume. No steroids as of yet. So far just the anti-inflammatory and the methotrexate. I was expecting side effects from the mtx, but so far nothing. But joints still hurt like crazy but it's only been a few weeks of the meds.
I hope your tests would point to a treatable cause.
The test for SFN is a skin biopsy and not a nerve biopsy.
And if your neurologist doesn’t take you seriously or doesn’t know enough about SFN maybe it would be better to search for a new neuro.
Only the 3rd neuro that I have met suggested SFN and referred me to the skin biopsy, which showed a severe damage. The other two, based on negative EMG, said I’ve got no neuro problems.
Don’t give up, it takes time to adjust to the new situation, find the right doctors, diagnosis and treatment.
stillHoping is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote