View Single Post
Old 07-12-2016, 04:25 PM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member
Question Much Needed Advice; Anything Would Be Appreciated

******This is general info:

My name is Jessie. I'm a 21 year old American female of Western/Northern European descent who's getting ready to start what should be her senior year in college (few bumps along the road).

I have a history of psychiatric disorders. I've been diagnosed Bipolar II, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, ADHD, probable Borderline Personality Disorder though PD NOS, recurrent intermittent panic attacks, and [currently questioning] Conversion Disorder, a psychogenic neurological disorder.

I'm on five medications: 150mg Welbutrin, 1mg Klonopin, 15mg Adderall, 200mg Lamictal, and 50mg Topamax.

Physically, I have PCOS and iron deficiency anemia related to the PCOS. Mild plaque psoriasis. Tachycardia, but that might be related to my current situation that doesn't look so much like Conversion Disorder anymore.

I add this info because it might be relevant. Might not be. Just for safety.

******Here's the important part:

I was diagnosed with Conversion Disorder in November 2015. I ended up with right side weakness, a drop in the right leg, a severe stutter (with no prior history of stuttering), tremors (though particularly severe in the right hand), cognitive dysfunction. MRI/CT/Chest X-Ray all came out clean. Went away in about five days. Probably triggered by identified stressor.

Second episode started on 06/23/16, the day I took the first dose of the propranonol (taken off after the second dose). The same symptoms came first. Gradually, new symptoms appeared: the stutter is exponentially worse, extreme weakness in the right arm, feeling like things are crawling on my legs, random pin-like sensations on different parts of my body and it doesn't take much to make limbs/extremities "fall asleep", bottoms of my feet fall asleep for fun.

Worsening of the symptoms with heat exposure, extreme weakness/moderate pain in back muscles, "on-off" neurological phenomena (stutter when I speak, but I can sing a song that I know clearly. If I sit up straight to maintain posture, my whole torso shakes like hell and my head bobs but the tremors in my hands stop).

Loss of biological survival signal that says "eat or you're going to die" and just generally not noticing "hey, you need to drink something; you're dehydrated"--had to set reminders and post notes to remind myself, dizziness, my right foot is starting to turn inward when I walk, random, intermittent muscle twitching (particularly in the right hand and arm), disturbed equilibrium, fatigue (might be PCOS related though; iron was a tad low last time it was checked). Might have passed out once. Not sure.

I'm "losing" time, if that makes sense? Like there are blank spots in my memory when I try to look back on what I did-- sometimes an hour ago, sometimes the day before. It's just like someone ripping the page out of a book and the reader being like "wtf happened here?"

I think the tachycardia might be related to the astronomical oxygen expenditure related to my body being overworked for no reason and the involuntary movements.

This episode is much, much worse than the last; it seems to partially remit, then relapse. The stutter will let up some, but then come back and curb stomp the speech center of my brain (can't remember what that is right now... and I'm a psych major). The headaches will ease up, but then BOOM. Knife in the skull again. The tremors will lessen and my right arm cooperates more, and suddenly, I have trouble twisting the cap off of the freaking mayo jar again. My GI tract is slowing down, I'm still having trouble eating, I'm still pretty dehydrated because I just... can't remember to drink despite the reminders I have, the drinks set beside me...

I've been in the ER twice in the last three weeks. The second CT was clean again, but will the MRI still come up clean? I don't know. I'm not sure. I don't know what the hell is going on.

Today is July 12th, almost three weeks later, and nothing is improving. Almost nothing has been done to help. I see the neurologist July 19th. By that time, it will be two days shy of a month. I have been unable to work, have had to ask for help in grocery shopping, have had to let me mom help me pay for far more than she should be...

If I didn't have a psych history... I feel like this would have been important. I'm only 21 with no personal or family history or neurological disorders (other than my paternal great-grandfather dying of a brain aneurysm). I only got slapped with a CD diagnosis because I have a psych history and clean CT/MRI of the head. That list of meds and disorders got me thrown into the "psych patient" box and duct taped in. This one doesn't know that I have a box cutter in my back pocket this time.

The main reason I came to this thread to ask for help is because my parents, an ER and ICU nurse, each with 22 years experience, are concerned. They asked docs they know, and they're worried about MS specifically. They're not neurologists by any means.

Those of you diagnosed, though... If you could share your thoughts, your experiences, any information, tips for the neuro visit, I would appreciate it. My parents would too. Kind of grasping at straws, hoping someone will hand us one, even if it's short or broken, made off cracked glass.

Thank you for even taking the time to read this... and I apologize if it's a bit jumbled. Kind of mirrors my cognitive processes right now. Doesn't help that my sleep is jacked on top of it.
PatternsInTheIvy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
NurseNancy (07-13-2016), tkrik (07-13-2016)