View Single Post
Old 07-12-2016, 05:16 PM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member

Agate,

I've done pretty extensive research on the medications I'm taking, even prior to this issue. Checked interactions, noted side effects, etc. I always do. I'm a psych major, so I have a decent understanding of neurotransmitters. I know which neurotransmitters they act on, focused specifically on dopamine given the occurrence of a dopamine-related Parkinsonian syndrome (low levels of dopamine in the brain). That, however, seems unlikely given I'm on two medications that increase dopamine levels in the brain and one that for certain decreases them in the brain; there is another that may have a slight antagonistic effect, but I haven't found any clear evidence of that. I've been mostly stable on all five of these meds for at least three months, Adderall being the newest. The other four, from April, and the previous three, from September. I tolerated all of them well, but that is something that has to be kept in mind because my brain chemistry is a finicky little beast. Hence having to be on two mood stabilizers (Topamax and Lamictal, with Topamax being an atypical mood stabilizer).

The reason I mention the first "episode" symptoms is because those were the first onset, and also the first onset last month. It just continued to progress from there. I've addressed several potential psychological triggers, including one that has been the biggest and most troublesome through my lifetime, none of which have done anything to improve the symptoms. With CD, that typically rapidly improves symptoms.

Also with CD, you tend not to have psychiatric difficulties (from what I understand given the research I've done) because the disorder is psychogenic and is rooted from psychological distress. The psyche essentially says "No, I'm done; this one's on you, CNS/PNS" and pushes the stress to the nervous system. I'm no professional of course, and I don't claim to be one, but I do a lot of research. I read a lot of academic journals/research papers and write down anything pertinent. I want to make sure this doc doesn't brush me off. One of the ER docs called an MRI and a CT a "full neurological work up". I was too disoriented at the time to really fight it.

Unfortunately, the neurologist is in the same physician network that my primary and psychiatrist (a PA and NP) are, so he'll have access to that as soon as I sign the medical release anyway. Hell, he may be able to see it regardless. And with the medication I'm on, particularly with the Lamictal (anti-epileptic) and Topamax (migraine med), despite lacking a history of neurological disorders, he'll know something's up.

My mother insists on going with me this time. She's the "box cutter in the back pocket", because she's as fed up with this as I am. Don't mess with mama bear, especially when mama bear has been an ER nurse for 22 years.

Thank you so much for your response. I'm more grateful than you know.
PatternsInTheIvy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
agate (07-12-2016), NurseNancy (07-13-2016), tkrik (07-13-2016)