View Single Post
Old 07-13-2016, 05:00 PM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member

bluesfan,

Actually, I was aware of the genetic predisposition to schizophrenia and bipolar disorder.
We covered the diathesis-stress model, explaining the necessity for both genetic predisposition and environmental trigger, relating specifically to schizophrenia in that instance, but it was assumed chromosomal rather than a mutation. I've always heard it described as the two essentially "being on the same chromosome", but having taken a look at the article already, this would explain that too, given SZ/BP (regardless of what subtype) are connected. Adds on the unipolar depression, which is also logical.

On my mother's side, my great-grandfather was schizophrenic, my grandmother was schizoaffective (mood disorder+schizophrenia), my mother is unipolar depressive though suspected BPII, and I'm diagnosed BPII. I'll need to re-read it a few times, take note of the specific mutations and at which base pairs they occur that have a stronger correlation with psychiatric disorders. It was noted that some had no correlation while others suggested the mutation was a potential cause.

Thank you. This is interesting. Very very interesting.
PatternsInTheIvy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote