Thread: pulse ox
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2016, 06:31 PM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post
Hains,

How did prolotherapy help with muscle imbalance ? It is usually targeted at tendon and ligament issues were healing is needed.

Did the prolo cause you to need to rest the muscles being treated ?

My Physical Therapist uses myofacial release to work with muscle imbalance. The result can be miraculous and sustainable with a few treatments.
For those readers who are unaware, the idea behind prolotherapy is induce an inflammatory response to a chronically injured area. To artificially induce the natural healing process.

Mark,

First, the prolo was used to reduce chronic inflammation with injections made on the most tender and inflamed areas of my neck. After the inflammation went down, we uncovered several overactive trigger points and nerves that required a couple injections to suppress. Once the trigger points were uncovered and suppressed I was able to gently strengthen the neck muscles with physio, correcting the imbalance. I know have no neck pain or restrictions to physical activity as a result.

Prolo causes you to feel pretty beat-up in the area of treatment for about 24-48 hours. Recovery times will decrease as the treatment progresses. The idea though is to keep the treatment area active and move it around. It is a mistake to immobilize the treatment area afterwards. I had my treatments performed once per month, and during each appointment numerous injections were made.

I usually followed up prolo appointments with a massage the next day. Instructions to the massage therapist were to be gentle, but not avoid the treatment areas. The massages I received were not myofacial. However, I am completely behind myofacial release and actively use it in my treatment plan as ongoing maintenance, specifically the Barnes method.

PS. Mark, I'm crafting a response to our discussion in the Calcium thread. It will take a day or two

Cheers,

Hains
Hains is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
injuredbutrecoverin (07-13-2016)