View Single Post
Old 07-14-2016, 03:13 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHC View Post
That's interesting, Bluesfan. Thanks. The human body is so complex and interesting.

So here's a question for you or for MrsD. or any other takers, though I'm sure it has been answered somewhere already and perhaps I've asked it myself: What is the fallout, if one does have MTHFR mutation? I haven't been tested and likely won't be tested or would prefer not to spend the time and money for testing. Is it simply that one can't process folate and B12? If so, I can just keep taking those as I've been doing over the last year. For what it's worth, I don't think I have the mutation as there's no evidence of it in my family.

Thanks in advance.
Hi David

Like you I'm hesitant to get any genetic testing - as yet have found no connection between MTHFR and autoimmune Addison's (I'm researching the Fibromyalgia link for a friend) - however I suspect there may be a genetic component to my Addison's as there are other autoimmune conditions in my family.

I'm using the MTHFR acronym very generally in my above post as there are at least 40 different variations of MTHFR and different variations can produce different effects which require different management. So B12/Folate may be only one part of the answer. To me, that would be the main reason for testing - if test results indicated a specific variant then it may help me manage the Addison's better.

Addison's is incurable and management is the key to trying to have a somewhat normal life. The stubborn side of me refuses to accept that this is as good as it gets - which is why I keep researching.
bluesfan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote