View Single Post
Old 07-16-2016, 06:32 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default It's hard to tell--

--as "benign fasiculations" are common in the general population, even among those without other signs of neuropathy or other neurologic disorders.

Technically speaking, pure small fiber neuropathy would not result in fasiculations, as the small fibers only subsume sensory function of pain and temperature and most autonomic functions. But, it should be pointed out that not many, if the analysis goes deep enough, are found to have pure small-fiber neuropathy. Most are found to have predominantly small-fiber neuropathy but there may be some motor involvement, though the involvement may be minor or sub-clinical. (Many people with small-fiber neuropathy also have minor, sub-clinical autonomic symptoms from time to time.)

There is ALSO the possibility that the extra fatigue of muscle that one will have when dealing with any nerve problem--it often takes more and different muscle energy and usage to compensate for sensory problems--might result in fasiculations from time to time.

Generally, though, such fasiculations are not harmful. One should be more concerned if one has non-stop fasiculations in larger muscles or has noticeable weakness in the muscle. For instance, the reason cervical spine surgery is being contemplated in my case is that, pain symptoms aside, there is a small but definite comparative weakness in the extensor muscles in my right upper arm and shoulder compared to the left one, and recruiting those muscles for resistance tasks, such as pushing outward against someone trying to push my arm in, produces pain and fasiculations. If this does not improve through physical therapy I will likely need to get the narrowed foramen at C6 and C7 re-expanded through disectomy, oesteophyte removal, and fusion.
glenntaj is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
DavidHC (07-16-2016), echoes long ago (07-16-2016), madisongrrl (07-16-2016)